Solar batteries are specifically designed to store solar energy and convert the same into electricity that can be used for residential or commercial purposes. When shopping for a solar battery many factors are to be considered. A good solar battery will always be light in weight, compact, safe, powerful, durable, offers quick charging and discharging. There are different types of solar battery and we have listed some popular ones.
- Lead-Acid Batteries: Lead-acid batteries are the oldest tried and true technology when it comes to different types of solar batteries. These deep-cycle rechargeable batteries, created by Gaston Plante are being used for a long time since 1857. Lead is the main active material of lead-acid batteries. Being the cheapest energy store option, lead-acid batteries are economical to use. These batteries can be further divided into three well-designed solar batteries- solar battery – GEL, solar battery – AGM, and tubular Lead-Acid batteries – OpzV.
- Lithium Batteries: Lithium batteries are the new kids when it comes to the solar energy storage block. Lithium-ion batteries that were invented in the 80s and captured the market in the late 90s are considered the best energy solution for electric vehicles. With the popularity of electric vehicles in the market, these batteries also became one of the most widely used batteries to store solar energy. As compared to lead-acid batteries, lithium batteries use less space to store energy and also, require less maintenance. There are two main types of lithium-ion technologies- lifeP04 solar battery and LTO solar battery.
- Vanadium Red-ox flow Batteries: These particular batteries used for storing solar energy were invented in the late 80s in Australia. Just like other types of solar batteries, vanadium red-ox flow batteries are also electrochemical storage systems. But the working principles and parts of these batteries are slightly different from the others. In these batteries, the electrolyte is the main component and is flowing in the battery. In a VRB battery, it is the volume of electrolyte that determines the storage capacity.
- Hydrogen Batteries: Hydrogen batteries, also, referred to as hydrogen fuel cells store solar energy by taking the benefit of the properties of hydrogen and oxygen. These batteries consist of a hydrogen storage tank, positive and negative electrodes, and a proton exchange membrane.
- Flow batteries: Though the technology for creating the flow batteries is around for years, these batteries newly entered the solar energy storage marketplace. The reason why these batteries are called flow batteries is that they have a water-based electrolyte solution of zinc-bromide running around inside of the batteries. When the battery is charged, energy is stored and subsequently discharged due to the chemical reactions. These batteries are comparatively expensive because of their large size.
Now that you know different types of solar batteries, choose the one which you think will be right for your space. Loom Solar is one of India’s popular companies that ship different solar batteries across India through Blue Dart. Shopping with this company will also provide you with the benefits of easy EMI.
Click here – Bar Graph: Horizontal bar graph and its types